Detail View: Archivision Base to Module 9: Place des Vosges

Preferred Title: 
Place des Vosges
Alternate Title: 
Place Royale
Image View: 
Close frontal view of façade
Creator: 
attributed to Jacques Androuet Du Cerceau the Younger (French architect, 1550-1614); attributed to Louis Métezeau (French designer, 1559-1615)
Location: 
site: Paris, Île-de-France, France
Date: 
1605-1612 (creation)
Cultural Context: 
French
Style Period: 
Renaissance
Work Type 1: 
mixed-use development
Work Type 2: 
square (open space)
Work Type 3: 
row house
Classification: 
architecture
Material: 
brick; stone
Technique: 
construction (assembling)
Subjects: 
architectural exteriors; business, commerce and trade; cityscapes; City planning; ground-floor shops; attached houses; pavilions; artisans? housing; town houses; quoins
Description: 
Originally known as the Place Royale, the Place des Vosges was built by Henri IV from 1605 to 1612. A true square (140 m x 140 m), it embodied the first European program of royal city planning. The Place des Vosges, inaugurated in 1612 with a grand carrousel to celebrate the wedding of Louis XIII and Anne of Austria, is the prototype of all the residential squares of European cities that were to come. What was new about the Place Royale in 1612 was that the housefronts were all built to the same design, probably by Jacques Androuet Du Cerceau (ii) , of red brick with strips of stone quoins over vaulted arcades that stand on square pillars. The steeply-pitched blue slate roofs are pierced with discreet small-paned dormers above the pedimented dormers that stand upon the cornices. Only the north range was built with the vaulted ceilings that the "galleries" were meant to have. Two pavilions that rise higher than the unified roofline of the square center the north and south faces and offer access to the square t
Collection: 
Archivision Addition Module Three
Identifier: 
1A2-F-P-PV-C4
Rights: 
© Scott Gilchrist, Archivision, Inc.